Monday, April 12, 2010

Ear infections and the Chiropractor...

In the past, Hanna has had severe, recurring ear infections. They started when she started to teethe, so 6 months or so- she just couldn't drain all the fluid, and it sat in her little Eustachian tubes, where it proceeded to infect her ears, causing her a lot of pain. She has so many ear infections (always had worse ones, that were harder to get rid of in her left ear), in fact, that the regular antibiotics that they give at the pediatrician's office stopped working- all penicillin based antibiotics she developed an allergy to (welt up all over her body), and the others just didn't get rid of the ear infections- they would mask it, and while she was on them, they would seem to get better, but as soon as she would stop them, it would come roaring back! It got to the point where every time she got an ear infection, she would have to go and have rocefrin shots (hospital grade antibiotics)- double shots in her thighs, three days in a row- that hurt like hell (I would have never known how bad they hurt her, until I caught a horrible case of strep/bronchitis and they gave me one..only then did I understand why she screamed every time she would get one). I had many discussions with friends and acquaintances, who recommended that I take her to a Chiropractor. Of course, at that time, neither Scott or I had ever seen one, so we thought it was hokey, and weren't up for doing it...instead, we put her through surgery (smart, right?), and had tubes put in her ears...which, didn't help much either. She still got regular ear infections, still spent a lot of time on antibiotics of all kinds, and was still miserable. So, breaking down, I took her to Dr. Andy Boesky, a family chiropractor in Kalamazoo (right off of Westnedge- by the Meijer), that did some specializing in kids chiropractic (I had several recommendations for him before going). I had little hope that it would make a difference (still thought hokey), but was at my wits end with seeing my little girl in so much pain, not sleeping and miserable. Hanna has not had ONE ear infection, since her first appointment with Dr. Boesky- not one. I thought of him as a hokey miracle worker :). Whatever he does, works wonders....that being said, Hanna hasn't had an adjustment (until this past Wednesday), since December, and guess what?? DOUBLE EAR INFECTION! Left ear is worse- middle and outer infection, draining like crazy, running a 102+ fever and making my baby miserable. She woke up on Tuesday night crying, saying her left ear hurt (she had a cold, and was snotty)- all I could think of was here we go again...so I took her to a chiropractor here, that seemed to do a pretty good job with her- though I do not believe he is as aggressive as Dr. Boesky. She seemed to get better by Wednesday night, so I sent her to school on Thursday...only to have her spike a 103 degree fever on Friday, which continued on Saturday. By Sunday night, she was back to bawling that her left ear hurt..by Monday, her fever was back, and by Tuesday, the ear was draining like crazy. I took her in Tuesday morning, to get some antibiotics in the hope that maybe, since she is older, they would finally work...we shall see.

We head to Beijing, China tomorrow afternoon- hoping that she starts to rebound once she gets a few doses in her! So my thought today- if you think a chiropractor might help, or someone suggests you try it, don't laugh them off (as we did)- I would give anything to have one close enough to take my family to!!

Just to let you know- a friend of mine just told me she saw one for Vertigo, and it worked!! So don't laugh it off!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment