Friday, April 15, 2011

Decided....the girls and I will be staying in MI until August

We started off this week, week of April 10th, by deciding as a family to go back to Tokyo to finish out the school year. It was the decision we all wanted to make,and hoped to make. On Monday, the 11th, Tokyo experienced what would be the second 7.0 aftershock in a matter of 5 days (one also hit on Thursday, the 7th). They then got hit by a high 6+ aftershock, and what we are told was about 14 aftershocks in 4 hours. Multiple friends said it was a pretty rough day, and that it seemed like it didn't stop shaking. We woke up Tuesday to an email from ASIJ's headmaster, discussing the fact that one of the larger quakes hit right after the bus got to school, and that the kids had to get under their desks and go through the earthquake drill. That morning, we just decided that it was just not a comfortable place for us to be, and we made the difficult decision to have the girls and I stay here in Michigan, and Scott head back to Tokyo alone.

I can't tell you how hard this decision was for us, and how often I have shed tears over it. Our want was to go back to Japan and get back to "normal"- with the girls going to school, Scott working and just us being together as a family. We have made so many good friends in Tokyo, and just have had an unbelievable experience (until the 11th). We have many friends who have gone back to finish out the year (and I feel like we are letting them all down), and probably as many who have decided to either stay away until next school year, or move back immediately and not come back to Japan at all. I just found out that there are four families from our building now leaving in June, only one of which was prior to the quake. One of my best friends is also not returning, Maya's three best friends from school are not returning, Hanna's preschool class has only 7 kids out of 23 back...it has just been heartbreaking and makes me completely sick when I think about it. Every time I get down, I kick myself - I should be grateful- I have my family, my possessions and we are all safe, while many lives were lost that day, and over 150,000 people are without a place to live- either because it has been destroyed by the Tsunami, or because they have been evacuated because of the Nuclear issues. That being said, I feel completely depressed over it. This was not what we signed up for- not any of us. I wonder how safe Tokyo will be in the next year while we are back. I wonder what it will be like next year- just like starting over again, with most of the friends (minus a few) that I did make now not returning. Hanna has been in 4 schools in two years, with a 5th one being added in August, as she goes off to ASIJ with Maya. My girls will take a 45 min bus ride. They say these large aftershocks are going to happen for along time- will I feel any different in August about putting my kids on a school bus and saying goodbye to them, than I do now? I can't imagine Tokyo being the fun loving, easy, exciting city that it has been for us, and for everyone who lives there. People are afraid, foreigners are scarce, and I am not sure that will change by August (though I am hoping it does)....

Scott is now gone for 4.5 months- back to Tokyo, alone. We struggled- all of us, spending 2 months apart last summer. This will be more than double that amount of time. It will be hard on all of us. Right now, we have no idea when we will see him again, which makes it even tougher. I will be worried about him constantly, the girls will miss their dad something awful, and though Scott likes alone time once in awhile, this is going to be so hard on him. We have packed enough stuff (basically clothes) to last only a little time- just what I could pack and take with us alone when we returned to the States (Scott did not come back with us). I have two pair of pants! :) On the up side, I guess I can go out and do some shopping!

The girls and I are in a hotel right now (our 5th one since March 15th- we have only spent five nights total in our beds in Tokyo since March 11). We will be moving into a 2 bedroom apartment but it doesn't become available until next Friday (Good Friday). The girls start school at Maya's old school, Haverhill, this coming Monday. We have no plans for Easter- my family is too far away, and both of Scott's parents will in Florida. Scott will not be with us, as he will still be in Tokyo. I had to go buy Easter baskets today, so we have something to celebrate with. Luckily, both girls are excited right now to be here- it has been good for them to reconnect with some of their friends, and get to see their family on both sides. Two months extra in the States is not the end of the world...right?

I do know and feel very strongly that we will be OK, and that we will be able to get through this (maybe not with our sanity intact, but we will get through it!) I am looking forward to being together again as a family, and hoping and praying that Tokyo is a safe place to go and be come August. I also pray that Scott stays safe, and nothing terrible happens over there. I know this blog has been a bit of a downer. It has been a long month, and is what we are going through right now- emotions and all.

3 comments:

  1. Leigh -- this is not a downer at all -- it is a story of strength and resilience. Sending love and prayers and will think of you on Easter....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh - I've been following your blog since my family and I moved to Tokyo last January. I have related to you so well! We too left on March 16th and have not gone back. My husband returned 3 weeks ago and it has been very difficult to adjust to life back here in the States without him and without our "normal". There have been many hard days here (we are in MN) as well. I'm glad I am not alone! Our assignment will be finished in June so we only have a few months left without our things and my husband. It has been hard on the kids without there Dad here all the time. We Skype alot but it's just not the same. I hope you and the girls are able to have a nice Easter despite everything going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa- I so wish you would have reached out in Japan- would love to have met you! It has been a crazy few months, hasn't it? Nothing I think anyone could have dreamed up and definitely hoped never would happen while we were there. I am so looking forward to going back- I miss Tokyo so much, and the lifestyle- much more active and outdoors (though I know that sounds weird being in a city!) I have driven more in the past 2 months than I had in the past year! I hope you are getting through the time away from your husband- we have good and bad days, and I miss him a ton (so do my girls!). Take care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete