Friday, January 29, 2010

Japan...ugh. :)


Last Saturday, we took the girls out and about..took them to Omote-sando, which is Tokyo's version of Rodeo Drive. Phenomenal area- lots of money, great people watching, tons of cool shops (that we could never afford to shop in!), and a Shakey's pizza...a place in the States we never went to, but here, the girls thought it was golden. Pizza, drinks and some random other things (one pizza was corn pizza, one was S'more pizza...with marshmallows, chocolate and banana pudding-- quite weird, if you ask me..even the girls thought it was a bit strange). From there, we took the girls to see the interesting College kids (that I talked about in my last blog) dressed up in Character, as well as to check out the Rockabillies in Yoyogi-Park. Their favorite part though, was the Dog Park, where they got to go in and pet/play with a bunch of dogs.

We also had the opportunity to get out with some of Scott's co-workers from Stryker Kalamazoo. We went to an Indian restaurant and had a ton of laughs and a very good time. The funniest part was the "burglar" alarm in the bathroom...I couldn't stop laughing, wondering if I had to be aware of some random burglar trying to steal my purse while I was indisposed...do I just press the button and the restaurant police come flying in? Not sure, but I definitely was not going to test it out!

Scott and I also met with our Japanese Sensei yesterday...she will be teaching us Japanese 2 days a week for 2 hours at a time. However, I could barely understand a word she said, because she talked so darn fast....so, I am hoping when the actual lessons start, I do not look like a complete moron...

I do want to tell everyone a bit of what it is like to live here in Japan- daily living. I think it is pretty typical to any big city, except the culture and language are completely foreign. My life here personally, especially right now because (a. we don't have our sea shipment (so we are living with all rental stuff) b. we don't have a car or even bicycles to make travel to the train station, grocery store, etc easier and c. I don't have a cell phone yet) has been quite difficult on a day to day basis to get anything done. In the future, when I say "it is very Japanese", you should know that means slow, deliberate and extremely FRUSTRATING. I have to go to the grocery store every other day to every third day, because I don't have b. above...and I can only purchase what I can carry home. I also have to bag my own groceries!! They give me my basket right back, and a few bags, and I have to take it to a shelf and bag my own goods! It also takes me 1 hour to get Hanna to preschool, and another hour to get her home....I thought I would have all this free time, once she was in school full time to work, workout, meet with friends, have lunch...yada, yada, yada...so far, that has happened, but stuck in between a gazillion other things that have to get done to live. That being said, there is a fantastic community of people here, and they have more than made up for any frustrations that I have been experiencing in getting things done (it all equals out, right??).

The cell phone process for us has been exceptionally frustrating. We took advantage of a deal to allow me to get a free iPhone...we applied 3 weeks ago, and it is still not here. The entire process was: us applying and sending in the forms, them proofing them but then needing to send a verification of address (so, they called one night last week and said they were going to mail us a thank you letter, so the delivery man could verify we were actually living where we said we were), and us waiting...to apply, Scott had to show proof of everything- his passport, his alien registration form, his proof of employment- ridiculous. So, they "say" I should have it by this week...though they said I should have had it by last week as well..so I am just crossing my fingers! Very Japanese! :)

Tonite, our TV died..completely died. Like I said, things have been a little bit rough- not just to get things done. Not having your own stuff really makes every day living difficult as well. A week after we got here, our slingcatcher remote stopped working (the only way you can watch the slingcatcher is with the remote!)..and Slingcatcher does not "provide service over seas" though they market their product as a global product...ugh! So, my laptop has been connected to the TV whenever we want to watch the slingbox...this worked out great, you know, until the TV died!

On a positive note- I tested out a car- a Honda Stream- tonite, and I didn't kill anyone!! I almost slammed into the back of another car (talking and driving here in Tokyo on the first attempt to drive on the wrong side of the crazy road- not a good idea!)..I thought Scott was going to have a heart attack..but I do think I can do it, and I know it will make my life a LOT easier here than it is now.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Garrison Family,
    I love reading your blogs. I hope you can maintatin them for the next 3 years PLUS, it will be funny for you to read these a year from now.
    It is fun for me to read because 2 years ago we had the EXACT same emotions, troubles, pains and frustrations when we moved to Germany. Nobody can fully understand and appreciate it until you have done it. We know and understand! The funny part is the experience of living life unplugged...no car, no phone, no TV, no internet. Believe me when I say...it will all become very normal 1 year from now. ALLLL the things you find Very Japanese will become common place and then, when in the US, you will say "why is the US so screwed up...Japan does this much better".
    This is the greatest experience - you get to see wonderful, new things every week while the rest of the world trudges through monotony.
    Regarding learning Japanese - just go with the flow, just like kids do. Little kids do not feel silly...they just learn it and that is it. Just do your best and it will come...in time.

    God Bless, Best wishes...enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete