Monday, January 11, 2010

Week #2

We have just started week #2 here in Tokyo, and so far, we are doing ok. This past weekend we had the opportunity to our friends from Portage over to visit, as well as check out the International market- Nissan Deli. I will have to say, I will only be shopping there if I am so homesick, I can't take it!! I got 6 slices of turkey for $6!!! My kids are just going to have to like eating Ham, because there seems to be an overabundance of Ham in this country- 3 shades, multiple shapes, single packets, large packets...they must have some unbelievably large Pig farm somewhere here that I am not yet aware of...I feel like Bubba Gump talking about his shrimp...too many options!

This week also was the beginning of school for both of our girls. Yesterday (Monday) we went to ASIJ for Family orientation. We all rode the bus out with her and home with her, which was a great comfort to her and started the day off well. Maya has Mrs. Olson for her first grade teacher, and so far, she seems fantastic. She is from Minnesota (yahoo..a mid-westerner!), has been in Japan for 22 years, and this is her last year here, as she is leaving to go back to Minnesota. We had some really good conversation with her yesterday afternoon, and feel that Maya is in a class that fits her pretty well. They focus on reading and writing a lot, which are the two things Maya loves...they treat the kids so special here when they arrive. The nice thing is, every student in that classroom has gone through the same thing she is going through- they have all been the new kid. There are 10 girls and 10 boys in her class, and she really seemed to like the majority of the girls- I think it was a very good day for her. Mrs. Olson also said Maya was right on target with what they are learning right now, so Portage schools must be doing a pretty decent job!! The busride home has a little girl, Kate, from Maya's class on it, so she was happy as a clam- they sat together and laughed and giggled the entire way home.

Today (Tuesday), Hanna started preschool at Tokyo Union Church (TUC). She has 7 kids (including her) in her class, and two teachers. We stayed with her until she went to recess at 10am, and then said our goodbyes. She seemed ok when we left, so I am hoping all is well when we pick her up. I am sure tomorrow she will grab my leg and cry like crazy when I leave her...and if it is anything like Curious Kids, it will take two months for her to stop crying and grabbing my leg...ughh!! :) At least this time, I expect it. :)

We are going to finally be able to open a bank account tonite...we have to get or passports back today before we can do it..and I am hoping to get my new iPhone as well sometime today or tomorrow.

Tomorrow is my big trip out to Costco...I am really looking forward to finally having some food in my house- and not living day to day, and visiting the same grocery store EVERY day. I am also going to join a Japanese co-op, that will have my milk, eggs, veggies and fruits delivered weekly, so I don't have to go every day to the store. I have my neighbor to neighbor friend Miwa, who is going to help me out, as everything on their site/order form is in Japanese....and, being that I have only been here for a week, haven't quite learned it yet!

Our air shipment is supposed to arrive on Thursday at 9am, so I should have my vonage phone (same number as in Portage) before too long, as well as kid's toys, bedding, and best of all, kitchen stuff!!! Whahooo!

I have alot of pictures to share, and things to share about every day life here...but they just won't be done justice if I just explain, and I don't follow it with a photo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment